Manjishtha (Indian Madder/Rubia cordifolia) is helpful in skin conditions like uneven pigmentation and eczema. The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India recommends the use of the dried stem of Manjishtha in blood, skin and urogenital disorders, dysentery, piles, ulcers, inflammation, erysipelas, skin diseases and rheumatism.
What is this herbal medicine?
MANJISHTHA (Indian Madder/Rubia cordifolia) is helpful in skin conditions like uneven pigmentation and eczema. The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India recommends the use of the dried stem of Manjishtha in blood, skin and urogenital disorders, dysentery, piles, ulcers, inflammation, erysipelas, skin diseases and rheumatism. The roots, leaves and seeds of the herb are beneficial for amenorrhea, liver diseases and gall bladder and spleen ailments. The climbing rugose vine with reddish roots is found in the Himalayas and in hill stations across India.
The most important chemical constituents found in the garlic bulb are the sulphur compounds, predominantly alliin. When the garlic bulb is crushed, minced, or otherwise processed, alliin is released and interacts with the enzyme alliinase. Hydrolysis and immediate condensation of the reactive intermediate allylsulfenic acid forms allicin. One milligram of alliin is considered to be equivalent to 0.45 mg of allicin. Allicin itself is an unstable product and will undergo additional reactions to form other derivatives depending on environmental and processing conditions. These compounds work together to lower blood pressure, tone up cardiac muscles and combat dyspepsia.
- Gastrointestinal: Manjishtha is beneficial in gastrointestinal ailments like loss of appetite, dyspepsia and worm infestations.
- Skin disorders: The herb is an effective blood detoxifier that helps in the management of skin disorders such as skin hyperpigmentation, eczema, acne, scabies and skin allergies. Studies have shown that Manjishtha extract reduces hyperproliferation of epidermal skin cells and modulates the aberrant keratinocyte-differentiating activity commonly seen in psoriasis.
- Anti-inflammatory: Manjishtha extract reduces inflammation and has analgesic properties which help in treating joint inflammation.
- Urinary tract infections: Recurrent urinary tract infections can be healed by the diuretic and antibacterial properties of Manjishtha.
- Skin disorders
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Age spots
One capsule, twice a day or as directed by your physician
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Manjishtha
Note: The information on this page is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat your problem without consulting your doctor.