Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna) extracts have been widely used in Ayurvedic medicine. The bark of the tree has been used for several centuries for treating cardiovascular ailments. It has a host of other therapeutic benefits including treating asthma, hypertension and kidney stones.
What is this herbal medicine?
Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna) extracts have been widely used in Ayurvedic medicine. The bark of the tree has been used for several centuries for treating cardiovascular ailments. It has a host of other therapeutic benefits including treating asthma, hypertension and kidney stones. In the Health Sciences Institute newsletter, a network of medical experts, ‘Once in a blue moon, we uncover a supplement (Arjuna) that does so many things well; it is hard even for us to believe it is real.’ The article goes on to mention that many clinical studies that have been conducted on Arjuna, have confirmed its numerous therapeutic cardiac benefits. The Health Sciences Institute article mentions that the product from Himalaya is the only chromatographically fingerprinted Arjuna extract. Arjuna, a deciduous riparian tree native to India, can grow up to a height of 27 meters. The tree is also found in Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
The bark contains phenolic constituents (arjunolic acid and terminic acid), glycosides (arjunetin and arjunosides I–IV), flavones, tannins, oligomeric proanthocyanidins and b-sitosterol. Casuarinin, a hydrolyzable tannin isolated from the bark, exhibits antiherpes virus activity by inhibiting viral attachment and penetration. The ethanolic extracts present in Arjuna have exhibited properties that help heal wounds.
- Cardio-protective: The extract of Arjuna bark exerts a positive inotropic and hypotensive effect, increases the coronary artery flow and protects the myocardium against ischemic damage.
- Antioxidant: Arjuna contains several substances that have a very strong antioxidant benefit.
- Antihypertensive: Arjuna bark also has mild diuretic properties, reduces clot formation, enhances prostaglandin E(2) levels and lowers blood lipid levels which contribute towards the management of hypertension.
- As an adjuvant in ischemic heart disease
- Hypertriglyceridemia (high triglyceride levels in the blood)
- Mild to moderate hypertension
- As a preventive medicine to patients susceptible to ischemic heart disease
One capsule, twice a day or as directed by your physician
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Arjuna
Note: The information on this page is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat your problem without consulting your doctor.